Underbird Rising: The Racing Career of Alan Kulwicki explores the life and legacy of NASCAR champion Alan D. Kulwicki. A project of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections, the website honors Kulwicki’s career in professional stock car racing and the achievements of his self-owned team, AK Racing. Kulwicki’s success helped to launch a new generation of motorsports engineering in NASCAR and at UNC Charlotte.
The exhibits on this site tell the story of Kulwicki’s journey from a Wisconsin short track racer to a champion owner/driver at NASCAR’s highest level. This site also features collections of photographs, memorabilia, and audio clips that represent the different stages of Kulwicki’s career. Please note that the materials used in the exhibits are grouped into thematic collections especially for this website, and the titles of the collections here are not reflective of the archival and manuscript collections of which they are a part. These materials are accessible in Special Collections, located on the 10th floor of Atkins Library.
This site complements the exhibit of the same name on display on the third floor of Duke Centennial Hall and the first floor of the Motorsports Research Building.
For more information on the library's collections, visit J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. This exhibit was made possible with a contribution from the Alan Kulwicki Donor Advised Fund.
Underbird Rising: The Racing Career of Alan Kulwicki Website Team:
- Bryan Gable, Public Historian for Motorsports
- Dawn Schmitz, Associate Dean for Special Collections and University Archives
- Rita Johnston, Digital Production Librarian
- Jacqui Celecia, Processing and Technical Assistant
- Nikki Thomas, Archivist for Collection Management
- Ryan Miller, Graphic and UX Designer
- Chris Detsch, Software Developer
- Brad Spry, Software Developer/Architect